Falling for fall:

  • autumn-home

Now’s the time when college football chatter is a hot topic at the office, caramel apple and pumpkin flavored drinks are available at your local coffee shop, the Pottery Barn Kids Halloween costume catalogue is delivered to your door step – there is no denying, signs of fall are everywhere.
I love everything fall – decorations, events, and food. Yet, here I find myself, dusting off the same old fall decorations (didn’t I JUST put these away?) and putting them on display, again. Every year I tell myself I will shop the 70% off sales at the end of the season for new fall decorations. And every year, by the time those sales come around, I’m completely over the season and well on my way to winter depression. So this year, I found a few quick ways to spruce up that awesome autumn atmosphere in my home and prepare it for Old Man Winter.
1. Homemade potpourri: In the absence of a fall candle, I remembered my grandmother used to simmer a pot on the stove and it made her home smell like fall heaven. I just threw together water, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and a sliced apple and simmered on the stove. Instantly, my family wanted to know what smelled so good. There are several other recipes to try, too!
2. Clean the gutters: Before the leaves start flying this fall, take the time to clean out your gutters. Clogged gutters can lead to damaged exterior surfaces and lead to water in your basement. Once they’re clean, look into gutter mesh guards to prevent leaves from getting in.
hurricane3. Fall hurricane: I loosely followed the instructions for the fall hurricane found here. It was easy and fun for kids to help create and it makes a festive yet affordable centerpiece. When the fall season is over, I plan to replace the seeds and candle with ceramic bulbs in holiday colors.
4. Fall flowers: Nothing says fall like a hardy mum. These babies come in many colors and can be purchased at your local farmers market very affordably. I purchased three: two for my front porch and one for my entry way. The site of the robust flower makes me happy each time I walk in my door. Added benefit for anyone with a less-than-green-thumb: It’s nearly impossible to kill one of these beauties.
5. Furnace: The weather is starting to get cooler and it’s time to give your furnace a checkup. It’s a good idea to have your heating system inspected by a professional and cleaned to ensure your home is toasty warm this winter. To avoid the last-minute rush, consider scheduling this task in early fall, before the heating season begins.
Now, with the time and money you saved, grab yourself a hot caramel cider and spend the afternoon on Pinterest pinning a multitude of fall recipes you may or may not decide to make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silicon Valley single mom lives in one-car garage for $1,000 a month:

The 11-Step Guide to Getting Into Real Estate

Checklist: How to Move Out for the First Time: